Starting your own company as a nurse
I was very fortunate and blessed to have worked in Beverly Hills with the top plastic surgeons in the world in the operating room and doing facial injectables. Although I had a job that many nurses envy and strive to achieve, I realized that I had hit a glass ceiling and there was nowhere for me to advance. I enjoyed my career for 20 years in Beverly Hills, but wanted to do something different.
I started researching and noticed that there really weren’t any nurses online talking about plastic surgery or how to find a plastic surgeon, how to prepare for surgery, and tips on aftercare.
I started a small website beverlyhillsrn.com which was a Blog giving advice to patients. That blog took many different directions and led me to the career that I have now, where I teach physicians and nurses how to administer Botox, PRP, and other facial injectables. I am one of a handful of trainers for proprietary procedures done all over the globe. I also visit practices all over the country and do evaluations on where they can improve in the actual office, or with marketing.
I love what I do and I get to travel and make my own schedule. Here are some of the things I did to get here!
10 tips on starting your own company as a Nurse.
- Find a mentor. I have a physician mentor, a business mentor, and an attorney mentor. Find people who you look up to and are smarter in an area where you are weak. These can be people you already know, or maybe people who are well known, and you can follow their book, social media, etc. I like reading biographies on successful people.
- Write down your goals once a month and repeat them out loud every morning. I write down small goals and large goals and cross them off my list when they are accomplished. I used to think that I didn’t need to do it, but it does make a difference! Then, focus on what you have accomplished, and treat yourself to a mini-celebration of yourself. Get a massage, a facial, or something that makes you feel good.
- Surround yourself with people who you aspire to be like and let go of anyone bringing you down. Sometimes, you outgrow people, and you want to start a new path. Negative people can bring the entire energy around you down. Not to say we all have negative thoughts, but some stay in the low-energy space all the time.
- Believe in yourself. It is really important to focus on the positive things you know about yourself. We all have flaws, and not everybody is going to like you, and that’s ok! Focus on what you have to offer, and what makes you different.
- Don’t give up even when you’re tired and discouraged. This is when I call a mentor. Always keep going with one foot in front of the other. As we Nurses know, you have to keep it moving.
- It takes time and a lot of patience because success does not happen overnight. People always tell me that they want my life. What they don’t know is how much work it is! I started my blog 5 years ago and worked in the operating room and offices for 20 years while writing and marketing my website.
- Be outgoing, ask a lot of questions. Doctors and business-minded people respect someone who shows a genuine interest and asks questions. I learn so much by picking people’s brains on a topic I am not well-versed in!
- Always be on the lookout for new opportunities. Establish relationships with people in your field of interest. I made friends with the doctors, reps, CEOs, joined Linked In, and started connecting with people there.
- Do your own social media and be diligent about it every day. Social media is HUGE! We all do it, use it, and advertise on it. Take advantage of those platforms.
- Keep your personal goals to yourself then share once they are achieved. I have found that if I share a goal before it happens, and then it doesn’t happen, makes me look like a bragger. Always be humble and thankful when a goal is reached, and share it when you can show it!
It did not happen overnight and many people think that starting a business is easy and it takes a lot of perseverance and determination, but it can happen! Do not think that any idea you have is stupid, or that you can’t do it. With determination and belief, you can start your own business too!